Sunday, March 11, 2012

Olivers New Harness

I saw this tutorial for a dog harness at Sew Mama Sew. I am one of those weird people that take their dog to daycare and I'm always looking for ways to improve the car ride. The daycare workers and my husband have a lot of trouble figuring out how to attach the side straps to Oliver's current harness and this new one completely eliminates that step so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I decided to make a matching bow tie out of scraps. It attaches to his collar with Velcro. Since this is for a car seat, I did a lot of re-enforcing. I serged the lining to the top piece, mostly to use my new serger. I'd never sewn curves on a serger before, definitely going to have to work on that skill. I also had a lot of trouble with the binding. I should have cut bias binding and I bet that would have made it easier. I also used some really cheap fabric from Joanns. If you look closely, you can see the mistakes, but it's a dog harness so I don't care. I prefer to make something functional while learning rather than scraps.

Here's the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment