Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sewing Room & My New Toy

I was pretty upset when my Babylock broke, again.  Turns out the belt had fallen off and the shop didn't charge me to fix it, but in my impatience and need to sew, I looked at Bernina's.  I was thinking about getting a mid-line model, but the shop had an offer that was hard to pass up on the new 780.  Here it is!


The deal was for the Bernina 780 with the sewing table with lift and matching cabinet.  When I started looking for a different machine, I really started thinking about getting a better sewing desk.  I really wanted to finish my design, but since we don't have power tools at my house, it just wasn't happening.

Here's the sewing table.


I'm really enjoy having the machine level with the sewing table.  Just starting to play with the 780.  I've been having issues piecing, but I really think it's the project I've been working on.  I just took the quilt off the wall prior to these photos.  It's lighthouse by sweetwater and it has strips of biased pieced strips.  I made a serious beginner error with it and I'm just really frustrated.  Right now it's in a pile waiting for the seam ripper before I make another attempt with it.

Anyway, here is my sewing area in my basement.  Love it.  In the day, it's night and light and peaceful.  Please excuse the poor iPhone photos.  I need to find my digital camera and charger.

 The cutting table is a kitchen cabinet from IKEA that I got on Craigslist.  It works very well.  I buy mostly fat quarters (I don't do enough sewing for yardage).  I keep them in plastic containers on the shelves along with plastic containers for scraps.  I also have wire shelving that has baskets of fabric.  I'm trying to get my husband to cut a board to go on top for ironing so I don't have to drag out the full size ironing board all the time.


Since the quilt isn't working out right now, I've cut out the pieces to make an Abby Bag by V & Co.  Pretty excited about it.  It should give me a chance to really try out the 780 and hopefully not have issues due to unstarched/stabilized bias edges.


Off to bed, work in the morning and then birthday weekend!

Oh, Ellie's gotten pretty big, about 25 lbs.  Here's Oliver & Ellie at the vet.  They were both so good and tired from a day of doggie daycare.





No comments:

Post a Comment