Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Swap plan and sewing room update

Okay, so last post, I shared the horrible mess my sewing area was.  And it's not any better yet.  It's kind of a long story.

A few days ago I noticed a "puppy accident" on my bookcases that hold my fabric and books that I built with my Dad a few months ago.
The bookcases my Dad and I built - See no feet
I say "puppy accident" because the perpetrator is neither a puppy nor was it truly an accident.  We had an electric fence put in a few months ago when we found the combined work of Ollie and Ellie trying to get the neighbor dogs.

Ollie riped chunks of the fence board while Ellie dug a hole.  Needless to say, Oliver didn't react well to the electric fence and we had to turn it off so he would go outside again.  When the weather turned nice again, I found a new fence board chewed away and at least two new holes.  So the fence is back on and Ollie again thinks outside is scary/dangerous and refuses to use his doggy door.  We're basically re-house training by convincing him he can safely go outside, just not every where.  Ellie, the puppy, has not had any problems with the new fence.

Anyway, so the bookcases I built didn't have feet because I couldn't decide on what feet to use.  With the spotted "puppy accident," it was clear feet were necessary to protect the lower shelf.  I decided on them and bought a new drill for me to use at home (our old drill lives at my husband's business).  I started to put the feet on and with the nicer weather and the fact that I'm on vacation this week, I decided I should paint them as well.

Bookcase with feet.

Ellie inspecting my work.


I took the book shelves back to my parents because Dad has all the tools and free paint.  They are currently there with two coats of primer drying, which means my sewing area is actually more of a mess than normal because everything on the bookcases is now on my cutting table.  I can work around it, but the total chaos is like a mental creative block for me.

The mess from behind.
The mess from in front.
In other news, I think I've decided on what to make for my swap partner.  It's been a challenge because I'm new and I don't know anyone.  Fortunately, she has a blog so I've been stalking to trying to figure out what to make.  Her style is a lot more colorful that my taste (most are!) so I was struggling to come up with something that would fit her taste.  While browsing the internet tonight it came to me, make a color wheel wall hanging.  I actually might make two, one for me.  A color wheel will be colorful and useful so I think it's a good choice.

The color wheel template.
I'm to try and replicate this color wheel and turn it into a wall hanging.  I think I'm going to keep the brown and black wedges.  They look like a bow tie.  Now the hard part, matching all those colors.  I may have a fabric addition (see the mess?), but I'm really picky about colors.  Some of these colors are likely not in my stash.  I guess I'll have to go fabric shopping...


Update:  I forgot to add on big thing I accomplished on my vacation.  I finally printed some of our wedding photos.  It only took two years, no joke.  When I originally tried to print them, Walgreens refused unless I had in writing proof that the photographer relinquished the rights.  She did, but I didn't have it on me and I was mad.  So this time I uploaded them to Walgreens online and they were printed with no issue.  I also made a wedding photo book in iPhoto.  It turned out pretty well.  Now, I need to dust off the picture frames I bought two years ago that ended up in the back storage room because I didn't have photos for them, and put photos in them.  Then I get to pester my husband until he hangs them (or I'll just do it).

No comments:

Post a Comment